An allergy kid’s birthday party is incredibly tricky for allergy moms because there’s no running out to Publix for a dreamy sheet cake. Oh, no. Allergy free cake is typically awful. So, every year–the pressure is on. You’ve got to come up with something that will avoid all your kid’s allergies AND still pass as an actual birthday cake.
It’s a nightmare.
In my quest for an allergy free cake, I discovered the key was to turn the dieter’s go-to 2 ingredient cake recipe into the ALLERGY MOM’S birthday saving cake recipe!
Diet Cake for the Win
Words like fluffy, moist, and “can I have another slice” don’t exactly ring out at an allergy kid’s party. Finding a cake that avoids milk, eggs, and nuts AND doesn’t taste like a fruitcake is no easy feat.
UNTIL NOW! My search for the magical cake recipe of my kids’ dreams kept bringing me all these posts on the dieter’s “skinny” cakes made with just a can of diet soda and cake mix. They were popping up all over the place!
But, I’m NO dieter, so I avoid anything labeled as such like the plague.
Then, it HIT me! To an allergy mom, any recipe with a limited number of ingredients is just plain magic.
Okay, you’ve got my attention dieters.
Two ingredients, Serrrriously!
After perusing Pinterest’s bounty of these little recipes, I discovered they’re all basically some type of soda (diet or regular) and a boxed cake mix. That’s it.
Egg Free. Peanut Free. Tree Nut Free. Dairy Free.
This is exactly what I needed to solve the birthday cake dilemma for my sweet allergy kids! I mean, with a heavy dose of frosting and sprinkles—THIS COULD ACTUALLY WORK!
And, I’m happy to report that I was RIGHT! This allergy friendly combo of CAKE + COLA has saved 6 birthday parties and counting. I use it for BOTH of my kids on their birthdays, so everyone gets to eat the cake—no exceptions!
Birthday cake should taste like birthday cake, and this recipe makes it happen. Allergy FREE birthday cake that you want to eat! This is a HUGE win for us allergy moms!
Allergy Friendly Cake – Tips
Okay, since I’ve done this now a handful of times, I want to tell you a few things I’ve learned.
- FIRST AND FOREMOST: DOUBLE CHECK THE INGREDIENTS on the back of the box mix (and frosting) you choose for any potential allergens. We all know this is something that can change at ANY time.
- If you’re going to make a two layered birthday cake, then I recommend mixing and pouring one layer at a time, so that the layers come out even (instead of just making one big bowl of batter and eyeballing it).
- What I love about this recipe is that you can use ANY combination of box mixes and drink flavors. For your standard chocolate cake, use coke. For your standard yellow cake mix, use Sprite. BUT, try mixing it up a little! As this article shows, sky’s the limit on options:
- Killer Combos:
- Spice Cake Mix + Ginger Ale
- Lemon Cake Mix + Sprite
- Funfetti Cake Mix + Sprite (FAMILY FAV)
- Chocolate Cake Mix + Cherry Coke
***BONUS: Make a batch of these as cupcakes and freeze them!
Take them out as needed for birthday parties, school celebrations, or last minute events where you need a special treat for your allergy baby! Seems like I always have a tub of frosting in the fridge….that stuff lasts forever, right??
Cake is the Great Equalizer
Leave it to a birthday party to make your allergy kid feel like he’s different than the others. He can’t have “regular” cake, EVER.
Bottom Line: You don’t want your kid’s birthday to suck because the cake tastes like some God-awful allergy friendly monstrosity. They can ALWAYS tell when it’s not the real deal.
This allergy-friendly, moist, fluffy, regular-cake-tasting treat is like a gift from the heavens! Is it bizarre? YES. But, does it work? YES!!
Allergy free birthday cake that tastes DELICIOUS!
Kids are happy. Mommy is happy. ALL is right with the birthday world!